Saturday 7 July 2012

The making of a DOG CAKE!


 I don't pretend to be a professional Cake maker. I make cakes because I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out how to create something unique out of something edible and have people enjoy it.
I rarely make cakes for other people on a for sale basis. However in 2009 a former co-worker of mine approached me to create a tree stump cake for her godson. They used the cake as a grooms cake at his wedding shower. So when his brother decided to get married this
year my friend returned to me with a request for a Golden Retriever cake I was extremely unsure of my ability to create a Golden Retriever cake but agreed because I love a challenge.  After doing a little research online here is what I created.

Instructions

Following box recipe, prepare 1 batch Rice Krispie treats. Mold the
                                                      treats into head shape. I also make the front legs out of Krispie treats I should have made the back too but I was too lazy to make another batch.
 
 Bake two layer cake in pan size of your choice. I actually put a half of a third layer for a bum but it sunk.


Cover head and body with butter cream icing and cover with Fondant. (I dyed the fondant Golden Yellow and brushed with Wilton Cake Dust for colour) I textured the whole dog with a shell tool)
 Decorate face and body with fondant.






 Seems simple right... I ran into a few difficulties.

One it is July and everything was melting and sinking.

Two I would have liked to have airbrushed this guy for better colour. Working with food powder was difficult.

Three I should have made a better support system for the tail the            whole back-end of the dog sank from weight.
 So he no longer has his bum in the air.
         
Four I should have baked and      
stacked my cakes a day early and froze them or at least refrigerated them for stability of carving.

Five I did not make my original board big enough so had to add another board for size but also for support this cake is really heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment