Wednesday 25 July 2012

Shrine Circus

Yesterday we went to the Shrine Circus. It has become an annual trip since my sister's husband's grandfather started giving us the tickets. He is a Shriner and loves to see his Granddaughter come out and enjoy the show. We always enjoy the evening fill with acrobats, clowns and various other performers. There is always a few animal shows this year they included horses, dogs and the Elephants.

I would like to say that I was not completely aware of the animal rights violations that the Circus has always been accused of. The truth is that I am not only aware but I studied a course in Animal Rights in University and I am more than fully aware of what may be happening to these animals. I just choose to believe that although it is unnatural for an Elephant to sit on a stool on command that these animals much like a pet dog are loved by their trainers. I would hope that they are well taken care of and are trained with love. There are certainly standards that the Circus must follow when keeping animals captive and training them. I know there are some who would say that by turning a blind eye I am supporting abuse. However I truly believe that these animals are much better off where they are then some other animals. Have you ever seen how they treat the cows that you eat each day.  So I feel that supporting the Shriner's who do such good work by attending the Circus which my children love is okay as long as I teach my children about the natural habitat of these animals and explain why there are some people who do not agree with our decision to go.

So I take the pamphlets that are given to me each year as I enter the parking lot at the Circus. I read the sign that says I should be ashamed that I am supporting them and I respect the rights of protesters and their point of view. I make sure to explain to my children that some people believe it is not nice to make elephants live in the sort of captivity that the Circus subjects them too, and that those people would like the Circus to not be allowed to have animals. I also explain my own point of view. I just wish that the protesters could appreciate my point of view and that we could agree to disagree without them feeling the need to harass me.


No comments:

Post a Comment