Wednesday 2 May 2012

Skylander's Cupcakes???

This weekend is the final in our birthday party marathon. We are going to spend 3 hours at our local Cheeky Monkeys (an indoor playground) with my son Colin and 12 of his school friends. He originally asked for a Mario themed birthday after I designed a cake for a friends son. However he has found a new obsession and has changed his mind now asking for a Skylanders theme.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Skylanders., it is a game that was introduced at Christmas 2011. The game comes with a Portal of Power which effectively links micro chipped characters to ou WII console allowing you to play the character you own on screen in the game. The creators are very clever individuals as it causes you not only have to buy the game but the characters as well. My son is a sort of collector so although he does not actually need all 35 characters he is determined to collect them all. We currently have 30 I think thanks to the family party and the generosity of my family.  


The problem with a Skylander themed birthday is 1 it is so new it is impossible to find any sort of decorations. 2 we are not holding the party at home so I had decided to go with cupcakes again which rules out making the portal cake which would have been easier and 3 I would usually purchase a new character for the top of any cake I make but it is impossible to find new ones we don;t have right now as they are hugely popular and sell out very quickly. So I have improvised by downloading some Skylanders images to take to my local Sobey's and have printed on edible paper which I can attach to cupcakes. It may be problematic if they decide not to print copy-written pictures however, so wish me luck. I will be sure to post my finished product on the weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment