Tuesday 19 June 2012

A New Beginning


One year ago May I discovered a small lump in my right breast. After a whirlwind summer of tests and surgeries I was diagnosed with Stage 2, Grade 3 Breast Cancer. I underwent 4 months of Chemotherapy and 37 radiation treatments. I was terribly sick, I lost my hair, I climbed a mountain of emotions and slid back down. I fought hard to stay positive and to look toward the future.
My friends and family supported me through each and every day. I will forever be gratful for their love.
On July 2nd I will return to work. Return to "normal", or whatever that is for me now. If you saw me today you would never know what last year was like. My hair has returned, my colour looks normal, my energy levels have come back. I am ready to go back, yet I am respectful of this terrible disease and I am cautious. I will forever worry about it's return yet I will always cherish each day without it. I look at it as a new beginning to my life (as cheesy as that sounds.) I am excited to see what the future can now bring.
I hope that anyone out there just starting their journey through the treatment of Breast Cancer reads this and takes away hope that you can do it. There is hope for the future. BE BRAVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment